As you can tell from the very fact that I have a theatre blog, theatre makes me very happy. Some of my favourite memories or life moments have taken place at the theatre both working on shows and sitting in the audience. Last night was one of those nights!
Last night I went to a screening of Newsies at Cineplex. It. Was. Amazing. As soon as it started and we saw Jeremy Jordan and Andrew Keenan-Bolger on stage and they were singing “Santa Fe (Prologue)” I was just so happy (as embarrassing as it is to admit, I even teared up a little bit, I was so happy). Sitting there in the dark movie theatre watching one of my favourite musicals (which was reaffirmed with this screening) on the big screen, it was the happiest I’d felt for a little while.
I think it’s one of the best feelings, the happiness that accompanies a great theatrical experience (including those theatrical experiences that are filmed). Yes, I’ve had some less-good experiences at the at the theatre but thankfully the really bad have been few and far between.
After a good theatrical experience energized and inspired, in a way. And then some times, like last night, you just need to be reminded of how much you love a show and why. It’s also why I love seeing shows multiple times or rewatching the filmed versions. Each time you get to re-live the excitement and happiness of the experience and sometimes notice new things and new reasons to love it even more.
It’s a form of escapism and last night I got to escape into the world of Newsies. It’s true that not all great theatrical experiences are “happy” ones and the not happy ones can be just as great. But it is really fun to enjoy those happy moments.
So thank you Newsies for making me very, very happy!
A few quick thoughts on the Newsies movie:
- I love that they brought back Jeremy Jordan, Kara Lindsay, Ben Fanhauser, Andrew Keenan-Bolger, Tommy Bracco and others, combining OBC with the touring cast
- I love that they increased the size of the cast. The numbers were impressive enough and then they add in more cast members, wow!
- Where were the girlsies?
- “Once and For All” still gives me chills (if you’ve seen the show, you know which part I’m talking about)
- Andrew Keenan-Bolger singing “Letter From the Refuge” was great!!
- I just love this show so much and am hoping for DVD or digital release so I can watch it over and over again!!!